Engine Misses

To: pwv@tc.fluke.com
Subject: Engine Misses
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1992 11:20:27 -0700
I thought about just sending to just pwv@tc.fluke.com and
lupienj@hpwarq.wal.hp.com, but I was thinking that some of y'all might
see some humor in my foolishness. And why there are "wankers" out there,
and I'm thinking I was maybe a wanker in this case.

May I take this opportunity to do my Gilda Radner impersonation?... Well
thank you....

"Nevermind"

What happened or the cause of said problems was a faulty waterpump. The
bearings were rather worn, thus causing the belt to slip on the
altenator pulley. What eventually happened was that the rear stud on the
altenator broke and fell off, the lower mounting bracket broke, and the
waterpump mount hole broke free from the waterpump. I should have suspected
something was afoul when earlier last week I opened the boot and found
that the nuts on the stud for the rear of the altenator had all fallen
off, and the stud was sort of just laying there. Well I guess that the
stud finally gave up the ghost and went south for the summer. Which
would explain why the other two pieces broke.

So we have a new waterpump and new mounting hardware. We shall see if
indeed this fixed my problem(s). Now I need to replace a core plug in/on
the block. Retorque the head, adjust the valves and maybe it will get me
through a while longer. BTW how long can an LBC run with temp gauge at
the limit (in the red)? I found the above described damage as I was
parking the car to catch an airplane to Austin, and I am unsure as to
how long it was at the limit. When I popped the boot open there was
still anitfreeze coming out the nose of the waterpump. So before I could leave
the airport on the return trip I had to carry a waterpump on the
airplane, and then do the R&R in the airport parking lot in 110deg heat.
The sweat coming off of me was not the drip, drip, drip, but a pouring
stream, like a faucet on low. I do not recommend doing engine work in
intense heat without proper shade and an abundance of liquids.

Bruce...