Re: Engine Misses

To: brucec@amex-trs.com
Subject: Re: Engine Misses
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 92 18:30:35 PDT
[I was going to send this just to Bruce, but I re-read it and cracked
myself up.  (It's amazing what cheap wine can do to one's sensibility.)
Simple things for simple minds.  So here it is for all of you to read.
Enjoy it at your own risk. - pwv]

Hi Bruce,

> What I noticed is that when I have the headlights on after a while the
> car starts to miss. If I turn the lights off and allow the battery to
> charge up the missing disappears. [...]
>
> So does any out there have a clue as to what my problem might be or could
> be, or even any thoughts and suggestions?

First of all, you will need to measure the battery terminal voltage under 3
conditions:  With the engine and all accessories off, and the battery fully
charged; with the engine running, but the headlights and all accessories
off; and with the engine on and the headlights on.

For the first case, the battery voltage should be greater than 12 volts
(actually 12.4 to 12.6 volts at normal ambient temperature).  If this is
the case, then your battery is in good shape.  Go to Step 2.  If not, your
battery is toast.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Step 2: For the second case, the voltage should be at least 13.5V (assuming
a fully charged battery to start with).  If the voltage is less than this,
your charging system is toast.  If not, go to step 3.

Step 3:  For the third case, the voltage should *still* be at least 13.5V.
If not, you have one of the following 3 afflictions:  1) Loose, worn, or
glazed belt; 2) Bad regulator; or 3) Bad alternator.

I doubt that your problem is related simply to having installed a high
output alternator.  I would most likely suspect a loose or glazed belt.  If
the belt is tight and more than a few years old, replace it and see what
happens.

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA

        "Read dozens of books about Heros and Crooks, and I learned much
                 from both of their styles."
                                      - J. Buffett,  Son of a Son of a Sailor