Re: stuck pistons, kroil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stuck pistons, kroil
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1992 09:57:23 CDT
"Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" writes:
>> Bolt the plate to the top of the block, just tall enough to put
>> the jack in (upside down) and push the pistons out that way.
>
>    Hey Larry, maybe I still have Nuke on the brain, but
>    I don't see how you could *operate* the jack if it was
>    captured in the above-described aparatus.

The bottle jacks are indeed gravity-feed, but you might be able to
improvise a solid spacer between the piston and the base of the jack
which would enable you to operate the jack more-or-less right side
up. You would have to mount the brace plate the jack is pushing against
much higher up above the block, however, in order to still reach the
jack pump as the jack presses itself down into the cylinder.

>    Also, if you could, I'd be afraid I'd pull the threads out of the
>    block before I'd push a piston out the bottom. Good idea tho' ...

Very possible if you don't have the bolts in very far (or you don't have
many bolts on the mount). I know from bitter experience that if the threads
are going to let go, they will give no warning, and generate a horrendous
bang when they let go. The more bolts the merrier; they spread the load out
nicely.

A better strategy would be to use (if you can find one) one of those port-
able hydraulic rams, where the pump mechanism is isolated from the ram
assembly by a length of hydraulic hose. I think your better rental shops
carry them.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473