Re: stuck pistons, kroil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Subject: Re: stuck pistons, kroil
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 92 08:48:47 PDT

And the I wrote:

     >    Hey Larry, maybe I still have Nuke on the brain, but
>    I don't see how you could *operate* the jack if it was
>    captured in the above-described apparatus.

And then you wrote:

     You would have to mount the brace plate the jack is pushing against
much higher up above the block, ....
A better strategy would be to use (if you can find one) one of those port-
able hydraulic rams, where the pump mechanism is isolated from the ram
assembly by a length of hydraulic hose.

     >And then I thought, using the ram or the bottle jack
     would work better if you had the base end of either
     push against a loop or three of strap encircling the
     engine, rather than pushing against a plate bolted to
     the block using the head bolts. In doing this you'd be
     distributing the load against the bottom of the block,
     and your weak link would be the tensile strength of the
     straps, not the head bolt threads. Just a thought.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com