Re: New MGB

To: pwv@tc.fluke.com, sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Re: New MGB
From: kendall@gallium.chey.com (none)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 92 8:04:48 EDT

>He said "New".  (Didn't he say New?)  Yes, I think he said "New".

>> [more interesting figures on the "cost" of a new MGB]

>I'm sure that you realize that you left off a few minor details, like the
>modifications to the engine, and the new PI mainifold, and the ECU, and the
>catalytic exhaust system that you'd also have to design and build to get it
>to meet new (there's that word again!) regulations.  Oh yes, then there'd
>be the structural changes to the body & bumpers, the addition of the "cyclops"
>rear light, the necessary sheet metal modifications...  Oh yes, then you'd
>just need a few $Million to get it certified by the EPA et. al., before you
>could license it.

I have to disagree with all this stuff.  The company does claim that it will
build you a brand new 71 B.  But, I think it's safe to assume that they start
with a 71 donor car, and at the very least use the VIN plate and title.
Based on that assumption, I think it's also safe to assume that this "new B"
would only be required to meet 71 regulations.

Kendall Robinson