Re: New MGB

To: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Subject: Re: New MGB
From: Scott Fisher <sfisher@wsl.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 92 12:23:54 PDT
    Well Scott, I did hear one story about a lost shipment of Britcars packed
    in cosmline.

    The story I heard was about a shipment of MGs and AH100s [. . .]

Glad somebody picked up that hint; I'd heard the story but couldn't
remember the tantalizing details.

    SSoo maybe, sitting at the back of a barn in Half Moon Bay is a number
    of boxes, each containing a new right hand drive MGTC or AH100.

It's a great story, and I'd love to authenticate it by finding the cars...

    Scott, while on the subject of strange things, what is the story of a
    national MGB meet at the Palo Alto All British car meet??????????

    If it is happening, I would like to volunteer to lead one of my famous
    (at least within  the TR club) tours of the Santa Cruz mountians on Sat, the
    day befor the field meet.

You're on.  The event is definitely happening, but it's going to be a
fairly low-key convention by national standards.  (Reminds me, I gotta
call about a couple of things.  Anybody in the bay area have an idea on
where I could rent a big tent and some folding chairs?)

The plan so far is to have a tour followed by an optional dinnertime stop-
and-chat, both of which would be on September 12.

I'd thought that the September 12 tour would also be a good opportunity
to include some other local car clubs (SMOG, Triumph Travellers, etc.)
and of course any SOLs in the Bay Area.  Let me know what kind of tour
you have in mind.

(BTW, anyone else who wants to help out should contact me; we'll get
to wear STAFF T-shirts and everything.  I'm so impressed...)

On September 13, the day of the British Car Show, there'll be a hospitality
tent and some light munchies, plus a videotape player and monitor for some
displays (possibly technical, historical, etc.)  In addition to the usual
popular vote car show at the ABCS, there will be two new awards: the AMGBA
award for the best MGB in several categories, and a new award that I'm
sponsoring.

I'm calling this last one the Velveteen Rabbit award.  The Velveteen Rabbit
is a children's story about a little boy with a stuffed velveteen rabbit that
he loves more than any other toy.  Eventually the ears get torn off and
the nap of the velveteen gets worn away in places; the little boy gets
sick and the doctors demand that all his things be burned, but he keeps
the rabbit for comfort and eventually gets well.  At the end of the story,
the rabbit is worn out and shabby, but the Toy Fairy (or some deus ex machina)
tells the Velveteen Rabbit that because the little boy had loved him best,
the rabbit gets to become a real bunny.

It is my intention to award a Velveteen Rabbit to the car that looks the
most "loved" (anyone who's seen my MGB will know just what I'm talking
about, but of course my car is excluded from the voting :-).  That is,
this is for a car that drives to the meet under its own power, and that
runs well and is properly maintained but which somehow exudes an aura
of having been enjoyed for its use rather than for its appearance or
its value as an investment.  (I'm also investigating the possibility of
making a charitable donation to the Stanford Children's Hospital, which
is just across the way, and which of course fits nicely with the original
story; it'd be great publicity for someone, I'm sure...)

--Scott