Re: Throwing Things Away

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Throwing Things Away
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1992 15:23:37 CDT
"T_MULLEN" <TMULLEN@atlas.nafb.trw.com> writes:
> I do tend to believe that for many, the people who buy sports cars do it
> for "style", then don't take the proper care of the car.

Not just sports cars. My favorite are the ones who own off-road 4WD vehicles
in downtown Chicago and only drive as far as the East Bank [health] Club.
C'mon, people, the snowfall isn't SO bad that you need them. Take a cab! Jog!

> Yes, many types of cars get neglected, however, in many cases, the sporty
> cars seem to be purchased by "young people" (or just plain idiots) for the
> style, but who then find that they don't have the funds to properly care
> for the car.

Yup. Take a look at some of the older TransAms and Camaros running around, if
you can find any. I owned a '78 T/A for several years and sold it for a hand-
some profit due to its accelerated rarity. It was only 6 years old, but so
many of its compatriots had been trashed or wrapped around trees already.

> Note that you see a lot of MGs and Triumphs in bad shape,

Well, they're getting on in years now, but at least they're on the road.
They, too, left a lot of siblings in the junkyard in their first few years,
but now that the junked ones have gone and the roadworthy ones are getting
fixed up, parts are getting harder to find.

> ...but when was the last time that you saw a trashed Mercedes or Italian
> Exotic?

They're around. Agreed, they're not as common a sight as a battered muscle
car, but a good percentage of them are leased, so the owner doesn't partic-
ularly worry about keeping things perfect. If something breaks, they call
the dealer. Some cars surrendered at the end of the lease are such basket
cases that they require a major rebuild... if they're worth it.

> Ever notice that many (no most...) of the people that ran out and bought
> the Miatas when they first came out, [...] now drive around with the top
> up and the A/C on all the time?

My favorites are the luxury land yachts with phony convertible tops AND an
electric sunroof in the middle! What are these people thinking???

-- Andy