Re: GT6 leaf spring

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Re: GT6 leaf spring
From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 92 14:19:24 MDT
Although the special tool shown in the shop manual would make the job easier,
it is not necessary to complete the task.  What you need: 2 extra jack
stands, and a heafty steel bar about 12" long. (I use my craftsman breaker
bar)  Slip the breaker bar under the spring and support each end of it on the
jack stands.  the rear 1/4 of the car is now supported by the spring resting
on the breaker bar resting on the jackstands.  You can then remove the
veritcal link.  For safty reasons you should have extra jack stands place
under the frame ready to catch the car should the breaker bar slip.  If the
GT6 in question is a MachI it is not even necessary to support the spring.
Just jack up the back of the car and start pulling parts off the spring is
completely decompressed if the wheels are off the ground.

The GT6 spring is fairly simple and many of the vintage racers have added
extra leafs to stiffen them and then added spacer blocks between the spring
and diff. to lower the overall hight of the car.  I wouldn't recommend this
if you are driving it on rough roads as the ground clearance is preaty small
already.
--

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley