spitfire rear shocks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: spitfire rear shocks
From: Adam Frankel <frankel@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1992 11:12:44 HST
Hello all,
  I ran across an ad in Hemmings, for a outfit called English Only.  They are
selling coil-over rear shocks for spitfires.  The shocks are Gabriel.  The
gentleman I spoke with said that he had sold nearl 100 pairs of these, and
that the coils took most of the load, with the original spring retained as a
helper, and to locate the vertical link.
  My question is; Do people have any experience with such a thing, or any
ideas or opinions (on this list? :-) ).
  Important details department:  the car in question is a 1980 spitifre 1500,
and the rear spring was replaced last year with a re-arched unit.  It started
to sag after 6 months :-(.
  Thanks in advance for any info,
adam