Throwing Things Away

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Throwing Things Away
From: Clay Robinson <crobinso@sesky4102b.pl.osd.mil>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 92 10:17:06 EDT
From: crobinso
Full-Name: Clay Robinson@program support
Subject: Re: Smog Tests Details
To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Bcc: crobinso

or ANOTHER REASON TO OWN AN OLD LBC

    With all of the bandwidth on future smog tests, I thought I would
provide details on why the old LBCs are going to be the cars of choice
for more people.

    According to the Washington Post, 14 July:

    The EPA has proposed new regulations to expand emissions testing to
55 more urban areas, for a total of 177 nationwide (included are cities
such as Denton, Texas and Charleston, West Virginia.) The proposed tests
are to take place beginning in 1994 (unless of course a wise group of
folks write to EPA in next few weeks with reasons against such activity).
Final EPA rules are scheduled to be published 6 November.

    Basic emissions tests will be for cars that go back to '68 and the
new tests with dynomometer type set--up will be for cars 1983 and later.
Owners will be able to obtain a waiver, but only after they have paid
the friendly local mechanic $450 in repairs.

    It is estimated that the "computer assisted treadmills will cost
$150,000" and will not only test for hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide but
also nitrogen oxide, and leaks of fuel vapors.  Eventhough the test
equipment will cost $150,000, EPA estimates cost to your local smog station
will be a paltry $17 for the test.  They also project that the flunk rate
will go up from a paltry 8% to a whopping 33%.

    Guess what:  EPA officials said their proposal has the support of the
automakers.  They also project that the tests will be a "$300-million-a-
year boon to the auto-repair industry".

    Let's keep the air clean for our kids, but gee, don't charge me $450
every two years for driving a few hundred miles in my LBC.

    dust off the ol' MGAs, TR4s, SP-250s and all of the other pre-'68 fun
LBCs and keep driving.  OH, by the way, if you have any thoughts about the
above, check out Monday's (13 July) Federal Register & write
to the EPA in Washington.

The above comments are my own and do not represent the views or thoughts of
my employer!

Clay Robinson      P.O. Box 9092  Alexandria, VA  22304