car colors

To: TMULLEN@atlas.nafb.trw.com
Subject: car colors
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1992 14:18:04 -0700

Mr Mullen scribed:>
> me into buying it when I was 18).  I the time, I too was driving down
> the freeway, moving with traffic, in the middle of a  pack of cars,
> when the CHP worked his way to the middle of the pack and got me.
> When I asked him "Why me?...   Everybody was doing the same speed?..."

I had this happen two different times to me. The first time was when I
worked for a company named Symbolics in Ca. I was a Customer Service Rep.
at the time. I had been down to Marina Del Rey to ISI, I was in rush
hour traffic on 101 headed to 1000 Oaks. When I noticed this flashing
red lights in the rearview mirror. I was following the rest of traffic.
I BTW was not driving a sports car I was driving my Calif. surfer van at the
time. I was pissed (not to be confused with the British form of
pissed), because there were other folks actually going faster than
myself. But apparently I had done something to get his attention and
that was when he pulled me over. I had just done a lane change and
passed a car that was in the show off lane. But it was my turn to get a
ticket I guess, but to my own stupidity I showed my butt and gave the CHP a
very hard time because I felt he had no right to give me ticket for
something that everyone else was doing at the time. So it goes to show
you that it is not necessarily the sports car that attracts the
attention of Mr. Law Enforcement. BTW the van was a rather custom thing
with a very eye catching paint job.

The second time this happened I probably deserved the ticket. I was
going to Houston for a job interview. I was late anyways so I thought I
would make up some time and I had my brand spanking new radar detector.
I had been toolin along in my also brand spanking new Merkur XR4ti at
quite a clip when we run into some traffic. I slowed down to the pace
that the traffic was going which was faster than the legal speed limit.
But I was the only one with a sports car and with a radar detector. So
he must have assumed that I was the leader of the pack. In a way I was
the leader of the pack but not for the entire pack, and the color of the
car was not one of those eye catchers like the mentioned red and yellow,
it was a medium mettalic blue.

So the moral of this story is unclear but it appears that neither the type nor
the color of the vehicle has much to do with getting a ticket. I think
it has to do more with the traffic at the time and the mood of Mr. Law
Enforcement. And the reason I say this is, in the first incident the
same CHP kept hassling me every time he seen me on the hiway. The last
time I seen him I gave him the 3 finger salute, hollered some explitives
at him and got off the freeway and never seen him again. That was also
about the time I got transferred to Austin.

I am also one of those folks that do not beleive that Mr. Law
Enforcement is a "god". In fact I beleive a good portion of them are
lesser citizens than most of the rest of us. There are very few of them
that do not use there status for their advantage. I say this after
having a couple of them as drinking buddies, and hearing some of the
tales they used to tell.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth for Mr. Law Enforcement bashing, but I
have had one too many encounters with arrogant Enforcement dudes.

Bruce...

"I value little my own opinions, but value just as little those of others."
                                                                -- Montaigne