Re: Car colours, et cetera

To: british-cars@hoosier, jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: Car colours, et cetera
From: tsang@cs.washington.edu (Donald Tsang)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 92 10:44:19 -0700
jtc writes:
>[...] I hadn't had my platinum TR8 for more than a day when someone
>just decided to change lanes.  They never even saw me.

>On the other hand, I was once in a red/maroon TR7 [...] Guess who he
>picked to stop?  The unusual RED TR7.

On the third hand, I was driving along in my red/maroon TR7 last week
and someone just decided to change lanes.  They never even saw me, until
I passed them going 10 mph faster than I had been.

This was admittedly at one of Seattle's dumber merge points... three
lanes connect up with a fourth, and thirty feet later an onramp occurs,
adding a fifth lane that disappears with an offramp.  I was driving in
this fourth (the new right) lane, and this person (must've been
CHINESE (*)...) just decides that he's "in the right lane and will stay in
the right lane", blithely ignoring the fact that there was already a
car there, and not using turn signals.  I had to swerve right, into the
gore of the onramp (good thing that onramp was there, and nobody was
cutting through!), and accelerate around.  The car was headed toward
the _middle_ of mine.  The most galling thing was the police vehicle
two cars behind him, who didn't even slow down.

This happened another time, driving in the right-hand lane, and this
new red Integra just signals, and, as I watch, changes lanes into me.
I had to brake *hard* to avoid the accident.  The middle-aged Asian (*)
woman didn't even spare a second glance after I screeched to a halt
to avoid her.

The point of this?  Even red LBC's -- coupes! -- can't always be seen.
Just assume other drivers are dangerous idiots...

  Donald Tsang
  tsang@cs.washington.edu

* I'm Chinese, so I get to make this racial stereotype.  The drivers
  who weren't born/raised here in the States _are_ worse (US) drivers,
  on the average.  They don't pay enough attention, and generally drive
  too slowly.  Hey!  Are there *any* other Asians on this mailing
  list?