Tube Shock Conversions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tube Shock Conversions
From: rbt%dracut@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 92 12:25:18 EDT
Roger Garnett asks:

I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed the SPAX, or any other
tube shock conversion on an MGB. Now that the Alfa is sold, I've got
a little time and money to spend on my real cars. Seeing as how the
suspension on my '65 is totally trash (from leaking armstrongs with
stripped mounting bolts, to very bent A-arms, and saggy springs),
it's time for a complete re-do.

Roger,

Ive never installed SPAX on an MGB, but did for a short time on a Lotus.
I would warn you to check the current damping rate ("jounce" and "re-bound")
on your current shocks (but then again, I guess you currently don't have "tube"
shocks) and compare them to the SPAX upon arrival.

In my case, I unfortunately let the SPAX collect dust for too long before I
tried to install them , otherwise I would of returned them. Basically both
front shocks had no "jounce" damping. There was plenty of "rebound" damping,
though and it's nicely adjustable by screwdriver. Also, the original Armstrong
shocks had a large rubber cushion to allow gradual bottoming out (vs a sudden
slam, you're out of travel!). This made for a very harsh (and un Lotus-like)
ride. I've since replaced the SPAX with Armstrongs and all is OK again.

Your milage may vary, but I woudn't wish these particular shocks on anyone!

-Bob T.