Re: 1996 MGB RV8 in Road & Track

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: 1996 MGB RV8 in Road & Track
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 92 09:52:33 -0400
plumpe@oasys.dt.navy.mil (David Plumpe) writes:
>     The August 'Road & Track', page 31 states that Rover has confirmed
> the MGB RV8 for 1996, with a 3.9 liter V8, and gives a drawing.

The August 'British Car' magazine, page 8, also shows a BC artist's
conception of what the car may look like.  BC say, "Based on the British
Motor Heritage bodyshells now in production for several years, the MGR (for
Retro) V8 will be powered by the 3.9-litre Rover V8 that is currently in
the Range Rover, putting out 185 bhp at 3000 rpm."

Also, according to BC, production has been scheduled to begin in September
of this year, at an initial rate of 15 cars per week.

Apparently Rover are unwilling to release any photos of the MGR V8 prior
to its launch.

As most of us know by now, its gonna be EXPENSIVE!  BC quote the projected
price in the UK will be approximately equivalent to $42,500.

BC report that Rover plans to launch a new MG Midget in 1994, aimed at the
Honda Beat and Mazda Miata.  The new Midget will use the 1.4-litre, 16-valve
Rover powerplant, mounted amidship.  A 160 bhp, 1.6-litre turbocharged
version might also be offered.  "By the time you read this", BC add, "a
running prototype Midget will be under test.  The Midget is expected to have
a UK price tag of roughly $26,000".

The magazine goes on to say Rover are planning to offer an all-new luxury
sports car proposed as a direct competitor to Jaguar and aimed at the
$70,000 market segment.  Details of when this would occur were not given.

--- On a different note:

Speaking of Jaguar, we were notified yesterday that we made it to the
Final Round of the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes (with probably
ten million other folks...).  One of the prizes offered is a brand-new
Jaguar XJS (in your choice of Red, White or BRG) - OR - $50,000.

So what am I going to do when I win this beauty?   Take the car or take
the cash?

I considered the fact that the value of the Jag would go down in the next
10 years before rising again.  But with $50,000 I could probably afford a
whole bunch of used, classic British cars and a new garage as well!  Also,
it would probably be my only opportunity to afford a good, used Aston Martin
(my dream).  Stay tuned...  :-)

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert