Re: Copper brake lines

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Copper brake lines
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1992 09:15:03 -0400
> > Copper should be okay for the fuel lines but NEVER use copper for brake
>lines.
> > It's not srtrong enough

I agree also- Do not use plumbing copper for high pressure systems! But:
NEVER use anything for your brakes which is not rated for automotive
applications brake lines typically have up to 2000-2500 psi of hydraulic
pressure. Plumbing lines are rated for more like 200 psi!

gerry@probe.att.com scribed:
> UUmmmm. I disagree. I have been running copper BRAKE lines on my Scimitar
> for about 5 years now and have not had any brake related problems at all.

> BTW:: The pipes I am referring to were specially made for the car by a
> company in England, who pre-cuts the lengths, flares the ends and installs
             ^^^^^^^
Note this! In England, they do sell high pressure copper lines, which are
either coated steel, or a high strength alloy. I am not aware of a US
supplier for this stuff- it's probably not DOT approved or something.

Codesmiths scribed:

>     Plain steel seamless drawn tube
>
> Cheap, works OK, rusts through quite rapidly.

Most commonly available. Sometimes coated/treated to help reduce corrosion.

>     Plastic coated steel

Yetch.

>     Aeroquip

> This is the same Teflon/braided stainless steel pipe used for
> flexible pipes to the wheel cylinders. Using it for the entire pipe
> run is more common on motorbikes than cars, but it's sometimes done
> on competition vehicles. Costs a fortune for little real benefit.

Even on competition cars, it's usually used only in flex areas. And,
you gotta keep an eye on it. The McLaren went through 2 this week.
A brake line was found leaking in the middle before the races, and then
the clutch line on the long straight at Shannonville. (not a problem)

>     "Copper"

We could refer to this as UK Copper, so as not to confuse the masses...
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!