Copper brake lines

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Copper brake lines
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 92 15:32 EDT
Mark Thompson writes :
> I've also seen brake lines made from copper, but i think thoes may need to
> have special fittings.

The Roland replies :::

> Copper should be okay for the fuel lines but NEVER use copper for brake lines.
> It's not srtrong enough

UUmmmm. I disagree. I have been running copper BRAKE lines on my Scimitar
for about 5 years now and have not had any brake related problems at all.
I used the car on the track for about 20 laps at Lime Rock, and egain
did not have a problem.

I just took the car out of starge last week, and still the brakes felt fine
(I expceted to have to bleed the brakeas after it had been sitting idle
over the winter).

The advantages that I see to using copper over steel are :
1 - they never rust
2 - they are easier to install, bending copper pipes was easier than bending
    steel pipes.

BTW:: The pipes I am referring to were specially made for the car by a
company in England, who pre-cuts the lengths, flares the ends and installs
the hardware. They make brake lines for every car. When the lines on the
Midget start to give trouble, I will isnall a set of copper ones as well.

Gerry.

(FYI:: We had this discussion about 2-3 years ago and people got the
impression that I went down to the Home Depot, bought copper tubing and
make up the lines myself !!!! - as I already stated, these were custom made
copper brake lines)