Re: Sanding techniques

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Sanding techniques
From: miq@chromavac.corp.sgi.com (Miq Millman)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 16:08:30 -0800
Jerry mentioned a coathanger method of cleaning sandpaper.  Way back when I was
young (not as way back as some of you, but still....) I apprenticed at a real
spiffy, high brow, body shop.  It was run by these two wonderful old hungarians
that did things the "right way, the old way"  which I interpreted to be the
"most physically exterting way."  I was the gopher that got the jobs of sanding
inbetween the 30 or so coats of lacquer that Gunther was putting on the old
Benz or Rolls.  They mostly worked on concours or Pre-50's cars and you'd be
hard pressed to find a smidge of plastic on the premises unless they were
working on a Corvette.

Anyway, I wasn't allowed to wet sand the cars, because that was "slacking
off" I now know it was really because the primer would absorb the water and
put off the next coat that much further.  I had this really neat looking tool
that looked like an old fashioned rug beater.  It was made out of coat hanger
wire in the shape of a "club" (ala deck of cards suit) and stuck in a wooden
handle.  A couple of good wacks on the sandpaper would clean it up.

BTW after working there for 3 summers and winter vacations, I "graduated" up
to Hans letting me help with lead filling, and Gunther finally acquiesed and
let me shoot the first few stages of primer (the ones that I had to sand off
anyway).

Miq Millman -- miq@sgi.com or {decwrl,pyramid,ucbvax}!sgi!miq  415 335 1041