Why Paint?

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Why Paint?
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 19 Dec 91 15:41:32
        Reply to:   Why Paint?
Mike Gendimenco writes:
  I've just seen some nice
restorations botched 'cause the person did a great job on the mechanical work
and engine compartment, etc. and then decided to try their hand at painting it
too, but weren't equipped or experienced with body work.  If your going to
spend
a few (or several) thousand $$ restoring a car mechanically, why skimp on
the
paint when that's half the looks of the car?

**** Well, I can't imagin doing a restoration without at least being able to
shoot primer.  The stuff all comes apart, you strip it, and you have to prime
it.  You probably have to color-coat all the little stuff, too.  It's just too
much trouble and coordination to get them all to the painters'.  He doesn't
want to see your small parts, either.  So you have to learn to at least shoot
primer.  If you're shooting primer, you need the compressor, the spray gun,
etc. etc.  So why not just go the whole mile and paint the car?  You have the
pride of doing it yourself.  You don't have to coordinate with the shop.  You
don't have to be towing your car around.  And you can get a good deal of
practice with all the insides and undersides, where your mistakes will be
hidden, before you get onto the critical stuff.   And last, but certainly lot
least, you will save big bucks.

     I've been learning to paint cars for the past ten years.  I've read books
and manuals until they came out my ears.  I started out by painting fenders,
body panels, and the occasional motorcycle.   One thing, I think it's wise for
a person to settle on one paint system, and use it everywhere.  Since none of
us paints for a living, I don't think we can learn ALL the systems.  So I've
settled on Centari enamel with the gloss catalyst, and have got to know that
one system pretty well.  It also helps to stick with non-metallic colors, which
are appropriate for the '50s cars I work with anyway.   Non-metallic is much
less critical than metallic as far as the film thickness and matching are
concerned.    About the only advantage that a shop has over me, is that they
have a real spray booth.

         - Jerry