Re: Performance B

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Performance B
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 91 01:01:10 -0800
>        I must admit I would be alittle peeved if I got burned by a Miata, but
>I'm driving a car with 10000000000 times the character, and one which has
>REAL chrome, and a classic look.  I wonder how many miatas will be around in
>20 years time with the following our LBC have???

Speaking of the Japanese invasion, I had the opportunity to try a Miata
on for size last weekend, and came away disappointed.  (To be completely
fair, I didn't take it for a test-drive; I had a friend along and would
have felt silly leaving him standing around the dealership for X minutes
while some salesleaze flapped his lips when I was trying to drive.

Two things that struck me about the car right away were the
ergonometrics and the feel of the important bits (clutch and gearshift).
My folks have a rotary Mazda that I used to drive quite a bit, and I was
always impressed with the positive feel and relatively short throws of
the gearbox -- I was shocked at how sloppy the Miata felt.  The clutch
felt pretty tentative to me also, although I admit it's tough to tell
too much without power.

Does anyone know what sort of linkage they used on the shifter?  It felt
like cables to me... .  (So did the Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD I drove,
but that's a different story.)

As for the overall feel of the driver's position... my 22-year-old
Europa feels like it has more room, better-positioned controls (with the
exception of that wacky passenger-side ignition switch), and in short more
comfortable than does the Miata.

My conclusion...  Lotus:  There is no substitute!       (8^)

-coryc

PS: To any Miata owners, apologies for my prejudicial opinions.  If
you're willing to lend me your car for a month's evaluation I might be
persuaded to change my mind... .  (BTW:  What do you think of a used '91
with hardtop, and 19,000 miles for an asking price of $17,000?)

|    >> Disclaimer: I speak for Sequent only in our hardware manuals <<
|||Cory R. Carpenter, Tech Writer |
| |
|Sequent Computer Systems, Inc. |"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate     |
| Beaverton, Oregon, USA        | things."       -- Vice President Dan Quayle  |
|    coryc@sequent.com          |                                              |