Re: engine swap - opinions?

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: engine swap - opinions?
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 91 10:01:08 -0500
Engine swaps --- argh!  It make me sweat just thinking about them!

Scanning the used car ads for LBCs lately (Leaking British Cars --- ha! ha!
that was a good one!) I've come across two different 1971 Triumph Stags
with both hard and soft tops.  Both were about $3000 - $3700, BTW.

Well, I know what a Stag is (Party, party!  No, huh?...) but I haven't
seen a picture of one in a long while and I fancied looking up what
Richard Newton says in his "Illustrated Triumph Buyer's Guide" (Motorbooks
International) --- the same book with Bill Sohl's photos of his (?) TR8!

To cut the long story short, Newton says that the poor old Stag developed
a few engine problems (overheating leading to cylinder-head warpage is
the major one).  As a result, quite a few Stags are now running with
nonstock engines.  He mentions Ford V-6, Volvo, Buick V-6, small block
Ford and Chevy V-8, even TR6 engines!

However, he points out a note worth mentioning here that is certainly
relevant to any engine swap for any car:

        "Most of the conversions are backyard hatchet jobs, and all should
be avoided.  Though its possible that a conversion could be done properly,
it destroys the authenticity that any collector car depends on for real
value.
        "In fact, the correctly done engine swap is as rare as the no-rust
Spitfire.  Even if installed neatly, different engine weights and shapes
can completely cross up the handling, turning the car into a driver's
nightmare.  Too-powerful engines will quickly destroy the Stag differential
and/or transmission.  Avoid conversions!"

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert