BRAKE BOOSTER REPAIR

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: BRAKE BOOSTER REPAIR
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 91 09:30:46 CST
A previous post on the source for brake booster repair brought
little positive response, but several others wanted any information
I obtained.

Its been several months and likely 30-40 phone calls, but here is
part of the answer.  I have found a place in San Antonio, TX that
will rebuild TR250/6 brake boosters and any others that they have parts
for.  Usually you will have to send it to them for inspection, my
guess is they can fix almost anything.  There is one guy who specializes
in foreign boosters, so I SUGGEST you should send your SPARE boosters
to him while he's still working there and willing to do this.

As I said before, these things have a rubber diaphram, and seem to
have about a 20 year life, so a junk spare is a short term solution,
besides, the brake fluid seems to attack the diaphram.  In order to
obtain the "jobber" price (no credit cards, etc. so these guys are
NOT setup to do business with individuals), do the following:

Enclose a letter with information which may be of help, i.e. car make/model,
exact trouble, etc. including:

From:     Exact Systems - Roger Bolick
          8920 Business Park Dr., Suite 300
          Austin, TX  78759
          (512) 794-2855

Ship To:  Your Name
          Your address
          Your phone

Package this in a box with newpaper and ship to:

          John Wilson
          c/o Industrial Brake and Clutch
          5241 Old Seguin Rd. (Kirby)
          San Antonio, TX 78219
          (512) 661-9658

Your booster will be returned via UPS C.O.D. in about 3 weeks.
I use an office address due to the C.O.D. and leave a blank check
made out to Industrial Brake and Clutch at the front desk.

The cost using this method is $98.00 + COD and includes:
sandblasting (or something) of the unit
replacement of all rubber parts
painting of the unit (black)
replacement of the check valve if necessary

I remove the check valve as these are no longer available and the
replacement will NOT be the same...  Silicon spray and 2 large screwdrivers
working on opposite sides pulling JUST the valve seems to work.  Check
this by putting this on the booster hose and cranking the engine.

If anyone has problems, let me know.  These guys also rebuild clutch's,
etc. if you have a special need, they may be able to do it.

Roger
rgb@hal.com

One remaining question nags me, WHY would TRF and others refuse to
sell me the diaphram replacement kit?  TRF, you listening?