RE: BRAKE BOOSTER REPAIR

To: "british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu"@HERMES.intel.com
Subject: RE: BRAKE BOOSTER REPAIR
From: gendimen@t12sys.intel.com (Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 91 08:32:59 -0800
>A previous post on the source for brake booster repair brought
>little positive response, but several others wanted any information
>I obtained.

>One remaining question nags me, WHY would TRF and others refuse to
>sell me the diaphragm replacement kit?  TRF, you listening?

I had my GT6 booster rebuilt about six years ago at a British garage in Santa
Clara, CA.  I won't recommend them now since the place has since changed hands,
but I know they had to get the kits from England which were over $100.  The
whole thing cost $140 to do, so the place you mentioned sounds like a real
bargain.  Even if you can get the kits, I wouldn't recommend trying to do it
yourself unless you know how as they're a real bear getting the two halves back
together.  There's also a place in San Jose that does brit brake boosters but I
believe they charge over $200.  One last note, I'm not sure what the TR250
boosters look like, but on the GT6 and similar models, make sure you specify
where to place the bolt part of the band that holds the two halves together.
If it's placed wrong, you can't fit it on the car and you don't want to move
the band yourself.  I did that and had to bring it back so they could put it
back together with the band placed properly.

Mike Gendimenico
gendimen@t12sys.intel.com