TR3s

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR3s
From: Carlton J. Sparrell <carltonj@media-lab.media.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 91 11:10:48 -0500
   Date: Wed, 4 Dec 91 17:16:28 -0700
   From: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.Colorado.EDU>

   The TR3 for sale here got me to thinking about them.  TR3s have
   always been on my list of "would like to have one someday" cars,
   at least ever since I got a ride home from school in a beat-up
   one one day in about 1974.  So what do you think of them?  Those
   who own one, do you wish you had something else instead?  I noticed
   that Bill Sohl commutes in one.  What are current prices like?
   Is the factory hardtop worth much?

I've always liked them ever since I was old enough to ride in the
back seat (what back seat?) of my father's '58 TR3A.  He's had it
since it was new, which predates me by quite a few years.  When I
was growing up it was my family's second car through rain and snow,
hot and cold.  After it's restoration (when the holes in the floor-
boards became large enough to put a foot through) he eased up on
it a bit, using it now as a summer/weekend fun car.  He still puts
quite a few miles on it each year (although it's tough to tell
w/o a working O.D.).

I can't say I've ever ridden in one with a hardtop on, but I suspect
that a hardtop wouldn't be worth the trouble for a car with side-
curtains.

   While I'm baring my soul here, I might as well put down the whole
   list of cars I'd like to own someday:

   Lotus Elan (dhc)
   Lotus Seven
   Alfa Giulietta or Giulia Spider
   MGA (roadster)
   TR3

I'd put a TR3 on my wish list along with:

TR-250
MGB chrome bumper (To complement my '76)
Volvo P1800
E-type Jag

Of course now that I'm back in grad school,  the MGB is more
than enough to keep me busy (and broke).  Also, working on a
car in Boston's Back Bay is less than ideal.  Fortunately, I
have several friends in the 'burbs with spacious driveways.

CJS