Frozen rear brake adjusters....

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Frozen rear brake adjusters....
From: What was the purpose of tetherball? <metzger@decwet.enet.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 13:51:26 PST
My '70 Midget has severly frozen rear brake adjusters. I've tried Liquid
Wrench, a torch and vice grips on the adjuster to no avail. Before I turn the
square adjuster into a round one I thought I'd ask for suggestions.

I doubt the adjusters have been touched for quite some time which is why this
is such a bear. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to free these things
up?

I was thinking about squaring the inside of a nut to the right dimensions and
hammering it over the adjuster so I could use a socket with a big extension and
try some additional leverage but I don't want to break the end of the adjuster
off.

I'd hate to have to resort to bringing it in to Midas or some garage like that
to have them do the brake work. I'd like to get the brakes set up before I put
it up for sale. It would probably help if somebody taking it out for a test
drive could stop the car before crashing through my garage :-)

BTW - Anybody in the Seattle area want to buy a decent '70 Midget for $1200
       firm? I need the $$$$ for other toys and I'm saving up to buy my dream
       TR6 soon. I'll probably ask for more if I put it in the paper but I know
       it'll be going to a good home here.

John Metzger
metzger@decwet.dec.com