re: Frozen rear brake adjusters....

To: bcr!decwet.enet.dec.com!metzger@encore.com
Subject: re: Frozen rear brake adjusters....
From: taichi!whs70@bellcore.bellcore.com (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 14 Feb 1991 8:55 EST
John Metzger asked:
>My '70 Midget has severly frozen rear brake adjusters. I've tried Liquid
>Wrench, a torch and vice grips on the adjuster to no avail. Before I turn the
>square adjuster into a round one I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
>
>I doubt the adjusters have been touched for quite some time which is why this
>is such a bear. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to free these things
>up?
>
>I was thinking about squaring the inside of a nut to the right dimensions and
>hammering it over the adjuster so I could use a socket with a big extension
>and
>try some additional leverage but I don't want to break the end of the adjuster
>off.

No need to go to the trouble of squaring off the inside of a nut.
If the adjuster is like most british-car adjusters, it is a square
1/4 inch in shape.  Go to your toolbox and locate a 1/4" drive socket
for (this is a guess) 7/16" bolt.  You'll need a 12 point socket for
this to work.  You put the 12 point side of the socket on a 3/8"
drive and you end up with a 4 point 1/4" square socket to mate
with the adjuster.  If you have a good selection of 1/4" drive
sockets, the perfect solution is an 8 point socket for a 3/8"
square nut.

If the adjuster is really frozen, I'd suggest dis-assembly
first as was suggested by another poster.  My "tool solution"
doesn't eleiminate the possibility of breaking off the adjuster,
but it should help eliminate the need for using an adjustable wrench
or a vise grip.
Bill Sohl                      ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com