re: Something to Shoot for

To: theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: Something to Shoot for
From: taichi!whs70@bellcore.bellcore.com (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 4 Feb 1991 8:51 EST
Roger Garnett asked (after my posting about VSCCA eligibility:
>Bill- Do the VSCCA restrictions seem to favor car models which were
>originaly raced?  (Authenticy effect) Or does it seem to have some
>other basis? What pre-war Triumphs were used for racing? I can't
>quite picture a Mayflower on the grid. :)

In my opinion, the VSCCA eligibility list seems to favor
limited production vehicles and vehicles that if they
did have a large production run, wouldn't as likely be
used for vintage racing in large numbers due to their
current value (eg. MGTC, MGTD, MGTF series).

There were several pre-war Triumphs in racing: the Triumph Gloria
being the most notible.  Just an FYI, the Mayflower is a post-war
Triumph having been produced in the early 1950's.

Greg Nagy also asked about the fact that he's seen Triumphs
raced in the Pittsburg Vintage Gran Prix and a few other
northeast racing vintage racing events.

That's true, as VSCCA does not sanction every event in the
Northeast.  There are a few mixed/dual sanctioned events
and some that the VSCCA isn't involved with at all such
as the BMW Vintage Fall Festival which is essentially
not sponsored by any official vintage racing group at all.
The BMW Vintage Fall Festival is held at Limerock Raceway,
CT over Labor Day Weekend.  Eligibility for that event is,
last time I checked, pretty much at the discretion of the
Limerock management.
Bill Sohl                      ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com