re: Something to Shoot for

To: bcr!theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@encore.com
Subject: re: Something to Shoot for
From: taichi!whs70@bellcore.bellcore.com (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 1 Feb 1991 9:39 EST
Roger Garnetts recent posting touches on the use vs
museum piece attitude that seems to prevail in the
US collector/hobby scene.  I agree with Roger and the
gentleman referenced (Don ?) that our cars are
meant to be driven.  If I couldn't use mine
competitively, I wouldn't want it (them).  The point
of this note is, however, my continued displeasure
with the VSCCA (Vintage Sports Car Club of America)
which maintains a very exclusive list of eligible
cars for participation in VSCCA events.

At this time, there isn't a single Triumph (not even
the per-war cars) that are on the VSCCA's official
list.  If your vehicle isn't on the list, it doesn't
compete.  Other vintage racing entities use a
much fairer approach.  Their (SVRA, etc.) set
their eligiblity standard on the year of the vehicle
and/or the actual history of the particular car.
If it meets the age requirement and/or has a bonified
(provable) racing history, the car is eligible to
race in SVRA vintage events.

I realise this isn't totally in tune with the british-cars list theme,
but it's one of my pet peeves since the VSCCA predominates much
of the available Vintage Racing track events here in the
northeast.  I also want to mention that this is not targeted
towards Roger, since he only posted the note and did not
even mention anything about VSCCA eligibility requirements.
This is just an FYI note on VSCCA requirments with the hope
that those requirments will be broadened in the future.
Bill Sohl                      ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com