Something to Shoot for

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Something to Shoot for
From: garnett@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 1991 09:28:25 EST
Like a lithe and elegant bird dog, the OHC MG often finds itself
used for beauty contests rather than for it's intended purpose- sport.
Through beautiful cars, like the N-type and P-type may be, mere static
display does them a disservice.
      In the days before two or even one car families, a pure sports
car was a luxury few could afford.  In the 1930's there were many more
Smiths and Jones than Seamans and Straights among the motoring
fraternity of Britain.  MG's were developed for especially for this
"dual purpose" market.  Cecil Kimber and his team at Abingdon in their
halcyon days between 1930 and 1936 built a line of cars meant to be
used in competitive sports on Sunday and driven to work on Monday.
Even racing models like the K3 and C were used by the hardy and
determined, as daily hacks, long after the dust of the Raticosa and
Brooklands had washed from their spokes.  The street models were
trialed, raced, sprinted, and hillclimbed at every opportunity
throughout the 30's, 40's, and into the 60's.  Where are they now?
Garaged, admired, perhaps even driven, but seldom used as they
were meant to be used- in amateur motorsports.  Too valuable, you say,
too fragile, too old, too slow? Visit a MGCC grid or VSCC hillclimb on
a summers Saturday in England and you will see dozens of prewar cars
whose values and reputations far exceed the average MMM.  Bugattis,
Alfas, Bentlys, Invicitas, Chain-gang Nashes, rare birds like Squires
and, yes Virginia, OHC MG's of the finest pedigree, sixes, fours,
blown, and all circulating or climbing as they always have.  Have I
shamed you? Made you think about the new seal you've been meaning to
put in the vertical drive? How 'bout a little vintage racing?
                              ---------
      So begins an article by Don Kass in the North American MMM Register
Newsletter.  (MMM is the name given to the pre-war, over-head-cam MG
Midgets, Magna's, and Magnettes, which were built from 1929-36.  These
include the early C and M type Midgets, as well as the D, F, J, K, L, N,
P, Q, and R series cars.

Don runs his prewar MG in the Vintage Sports Car Club of
America, based in the North East U.S.   VSCCA requirements
include:
-mandatory April drivers school at Lime Rock
-Safety equipment-Fire Suit, Helmet, 3" Lap belt, catch tanks for errant
 fluids, fire extinguisher, On/Off Switch.  A roll bar is not required
 for these pre-war cars.
-A properly functioning car helps a lot.
      This group emphasizes participation rather than cutthroat
competition (reasons should be obvious), although some cars are
still quite well developed.

Don continues:
      "Events- for 1991 the VSCCA has planned for Lime Rock in April,
September, and October [Which will include a gathering of MMM MG's
from England and the US, and the NEMG "T" Register fall GOF.],
Bridgehampton, races in the city parks of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh,
hillclimbs in Vermont and Massachusetts, and a number of other events,
including rallies, et.  At present there are only 3-4 MMM cars "on the
circuit", but I know of 2 to 3 more in the works. If we can get
enough of you folks out, the event chairman of the April Lime Rock
opener promises an all pre-1940 race, Bugattis, Bentleys, and real
cars, OHC MG's!"
                           ------------
      That last sentence was the last straw. I now have a goal.
I won't be able to get my '34 PA into anything resembling race condition
this season, but the thought of being out on the track amongst
pre-war Bugattis, Alfas, etc, has heavily rooted itself.  I don't
need to win- a 839cc engined car, with full flowing wings covering
4.00 x 19" tires doesn't really stand much of a chance. (Top speed
is 70-75 with the windscreen folded flat!) I suppose I could consider
future improvements, like cycle fenders, and a blower, which could
help get it moving closer to 100 MPH, but I'll be quite content just
to be out there stock. (my budget will be happier too.)
      My side-laced wire wheels will be going out for re-spoking
this spring, and I've found a reasonable source for a set of Dunlops.
(The only US made tires in 4.00 x 19 are motorcycle tires!) My Rotax
dynamo [generator] may need rewinding. (the starter is Lucas, but it
works). This stuff will get CZ6385 in a more drivable condition, and
then I can start working through other things, like the play in the
Bishop Cam steering box, friction front and hydraulic rear dampers,
and all those leaky seals.  One day, I will even get around to
bodywork and paint, but my cars are not for show, they are to drive!
   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@BATCOMPUTER.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!