Re: SOL

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: SOL
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 90 10:55:15 EDT

> Dale sez:
> >2) I *still* don't like "scions" in place of sons!
>
> Neither do I. But, I do like "Slaves Of Lucas". What could be more true?
> If we need more suggestions- how about Society Of Lucasites?
> [But, what about british cars without Lucas parts. (are there any?) My
> PA has a Rotax generator, and an SU fuel pump. But I think the starter
> is Lucas.]

Like it or not, the phrase was coined as "Sons of Lucas", and it seems to
me to be sacrilidge (if not even a bit silly) to consider the SOL abreviation
to be inviolable while what it stands for can be changed around at will!

I don't consider "Sons of Lucas" to exclude women, I always thought of the
word "son" to mean underling in this context; or maybe more like a person
who worships or follows Lucas.  Unless any of the women on the list object,
I vote that we keep "Sons of Lucas", and just consider women to fall under
what a "son" encompasses in this context.

****

On another subject, I took apart the front end of my Spit this weekend to
replace trunnions.  Unfortunately I only had about 2 hours I could spend
on it the whole weekend, so I only got to do 1 side.  But I'm not sure that
I even did that right; to me it looked like the bearing surface should have
been between the bolt and the sleeve, and this is what I lubricated.  When
everything is bolted tightly together, the sleeve is held by two funny
looking washers stationary to the A-arm, and therefore stationary to the
bolt.  This makes the bearing surface the outside of the bushing against
the plastic, which is patently ridiculous.  So what gives here, am I
missing something (unfortunately I don't have a workshop manual yet, so
I may very well be), is this a silly design, or is there something
special about the plastic that makes this all OK?

                                                        Joe