SOL, left coast, etc.

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: SOL, left coast, etc.
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 90 11:06:55 EDT
Firstly, I agree with TeriAnn (who I suspect must also suffer being called
TerriAn and Ms. Twakeman besides Mr. T.) that a genderless noun be the real
meaning in SOL.  It is sort of like a tempest in a teapot for us guys, but
maybe not so teapot-ish for the women of the opposite sex on our list.  Since
I am in favor of women (in general and one in particular), I proclaim, as I
have done so many times before, that SOL stands for Scions Of Lucas whether
The Bard likes it or not.                    [   :-) as appropriate.   ]
(I think it was mjb who first used that term but that is becoming part of
SOL ancient antiquity now.)

About the left coast list, it is operational now (and has been for several
weeks after an abominable beginning :-( ) and is maintained by Chris Kent.
He is at kent@wsl.dec.com, and the list is british-cars-local@wsl.dec.com.
The primary reason for this list is to reduce the mail load on Alliant and
our neighbor mit-eddie.  It could, of course, be used to distribute mail
exclusively to left coast readers (which includes Arizona, Nevada, California,
Oregon, Washington, and probably a few others).  There is nothing to stop
someone from sending to it, but that is not the main reason we set it up.  If
you send something to it, the rest of the country (and world!) will not see it.
In general, we would prefer that you mail to this list sparingly.

About all this SOL-id talk...  While it seems like a great idea, intriguing,
and all that, it also seems kinda' excessive to be talking about T-shirts and
windbreakers and patches and stuff.  This is, after all, just a mailing list
community of friends-by-wire-only (except in a few cases).  Okay, do what you
want and I am interested too, but beyond that I have just two words to say:
 * Good Grief! *

This posting has been mostly about british-cars and not at all about British
cars.  Next time I'll talk about cars.  Notice too that the mail volume has
been creeping up again.  Be careful!

Jim Muller