Re: parts, upgrades, like that kind of stuff.

To: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: Re: parts, upgrades, like that kind of stuff.
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 90 14:56:17 PDT
>A few questions on some upgrades, for instance, scott F. mentions:

>>If you use a Spridget motor, you can use the factory close-
>>ratio gearbox

>OK, What's the real story here? I haven't been able to find a manual or
>parts list which mentions this, other than the Da notation in the Engine #,
>which seems to be what I've seen on all the later cars. So, does ribcase=CR
>gearbox, or is there something more? And then who carries parts for them?

I know a source for the complete Spridget CR gearbox.  Call
The Austin-Healey Store, (818) 996-5212.  Ask for Tom or Gary.
They will be able to answer your questions.  (Tom & Gary are
old pals from when I used to live down there; they also build
some really seriously fast Sprites and also Big Healeys for
vintage racing.)

The gear ratios were changed between the smooth- and the rib-case
gearboxes, but the rcing CR 'box is a different animal altogether.
I believe the one they talk about has straight-cut gears.

>conversion for MGB's. Does anyone know what this is all about?
>[before I go spending $$ to buy a broken OD unit and rebuild it.]

Seriously, how much engineering do you want to do?  This
MGB-gears-in-a-Spridget-case was what the Healeys did in
their factory for the Le Mans works Sprites of the later
Sixties.  It's what you *could* do...

>And then: (Spridget again)
>>Front lower A-arms.  I presume you're going to do the tube shock conversion
>>[front]  The rear
>>shocks work fine; leave them as they are (well, presuming they
>>are in good shape and have competition valving).

>So why do all the US catalogues have rear conversion kits, and not the fronts?

Again, see the Healey Store or check WERACE in Washington
state for the front conversion kit.  I think FASPEC (also
in Washington state) has the kits for sale.  WERACE manufactures
the kit.  You could also call The Winner's Circle, I believe
they sell the front kit.

Mounting the front shock kits requires drilling holes in
the chassis and the lower A-arms.  Do *not* use the stock
holes in the lower A-arm (the ones there for the anti-
roll bar).  The reason that nobody wants to make the front
kit anymore is that it requires machining a special plate
to fit over the top of the lever shock and up against the
inner side of the chassis panel above the A-arm.  The
WERACE kit came with this plate.  See Section 12.a in the
Solo II rules for proof that this is legal in SP.  (It
used to be true.)

There's also an honest-to-BMC kit that lets you add negative
camber to the front end of Spridgets.  Ask Tom & Gary about
that while you're at it.  It's an uneven shim that fits
under the front shocks, effectively moving the upper A-arm
inboard just a touch.  (Of course, check the rules for your
class before you purchase such a thing.)  You can also get
offset bushings for the front, but see the same disclaimer.