SU question

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: SU question
From: mit-eddie!hpfcmi.fc.hp.com!rdg@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 17:46:58 MDT
I guess I'm now a certified car nut, having just bought a second
project. It's a '69 Datsun 2000 to join my '67 1600. Anyway, the
2000 has a problem which is probably going to have a pretty simple
solution for one of you SU carb experts out there (I hope).

The problem is closing the throttle does not result in an immediate
drop in engine speed. For instance, when upshifting, I expect the
revs to drop a bit to somewhat match the speed needed in the higher
gear. But, the revs don't drop until I shift to the higher gear
and engage the clutch, ie, the synchros are doing most of the work.

caused by some abnormality of the fluid in the carbs, ie, wrong
kind, amount, etc. Any advice?

BTW, the throttle return spring is ok, and the throttle does actually
seem to close.

PS. I'd also like to hear from any Datsun Roadster owners out there.

    Rob Gardner                     hplabs!hpfcmr!rdg
    Hewlett Packard                 or rdg%hpfcmr@hplabs.hp.com
    Fort Collins, Colorado          303-229-2048
                80525-9599

                     "Ask me about Home Brewing"