parts, upgrades, like that kind of stuff.

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: parts, upgrades, like that kind of stuff.
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 18:44:29 EDT
A few questions on some upgrades, for instance, scott F. mentions:

>If you use a Spridget motor, you can use the factory close-
>ratio gearbox

OK, What's the real story here? I haven't been able to find a manual or
parts list which mentions this, other than the Da notation in the Engine #,
which seems to be what I've seen on all the later cars. So, does ribcase=CR
gearbox, or is there something more? And then who carries parts for them?

conversion for MGB's. Does anyone know what this is all about?
[before I go spending $$ to buy a broken OD unit and rebuild it.]

And then: (Spridget again)
>Front lower A-arms.  I presume you're going to do the tube shock conversion
>[front]  The rear
>shocks work fine; leave them as they are (well, presuming they
>are in good shape and have competition valving).

So why do all the US catalogues have rear conversion kits, and not the fronts?

I just got a catalogue from Apple Hydraulic. They sound pretty together-
and they have a couple of spare bits for Brit cars, too. Like a rear kit
for TR6's which includes stiffer (longer lasting) springs & stuff. And
they rebuild lower A-arms for spridgets. And they'll do your king-pin
rebuild for you, using your parts, or theirs. They don't sell seal & gasket
kits for the shocks, :-(, because "Their parts aren't stock sizes", as
the remachine and rebush the pistons, etc. I don't care *what* size the
parts are, I'd still rather do the rebuild myself if I could get the seals,
as I have a machine shop at my disposal. They will do just about _any_
hydraulic shock you can come up with tho. And offer heavy duty rebuilds
(stiffer) for and extra $10 per., for the common stuff anyhow.

Tom Borman sez:
>...Oh, and by the way... (#define BritCarContent)
>Anybody want to buy a rather nice '73 Lotus Europa ?
         ^^^^
Well, meyby. Actually, I've developed a soft spot for the older Elan's
and Elites lately. Anybody got one they want to donate?

      Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
        The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."