re: Funny Spit hybrid

To: "bellcore!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!alliant!british-cars"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: Funny Spit hybrid
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 18 May 1990 8:43 EDT
>I told him that I didn't think that parts availability for GT6 or Mk
>III spits was particularly good, and didn't know what to expect from
>this hybrid. And that even if it's in good shape, he should expect to
>spend at least a bit of time on it weekly.
>
>I have no idea about the price -- of course I'm going to go look at it.
>Who has an opinion that I can pass on?

Parts availability via The Roadster Factory, Victoria British, etc.
should be quite good, especially for mechanicals.  Some cosmetic
items might be difficult, but if the car is all there already
that shouldn't be an immediate need.

The car sounds like a SPIT/GT-6 hybred.  Either a Spitfire (convertible)
body was put on the GT-6 chassis.  Or a GT-6 engine (6 cyl) was put
into the Spitfire.  This "swap" has been done before and if done
correctly results in a very interesting machine.

At $2500 I'd want the car to be nearly perfect (hybreds unfortunately
don't tend to have the same value as all original cars.)

If your friend buys it, he should try and determine exactly what
components are Spitfire and what re GT-6 so any parts replaceent
in the future can be done correctly.

Bill Sohl