Re: Line and Smoothness

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Line and Smoothness
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 18 May 90 8:26:10 CDT
Scott Fisher writes:

I don't think they're reconcilable with the second kind of
turn, which requires a very early turn-in and a reduction
of radius, if I understand it correctly.  I haven't had the
chance to try this one yet.  The theory is interesting, in
that it lets you maximize the use of a straightaway and
you should be able to run a higher speed, but the diagrams
make it appear that you have a lot to lose if you muff the
exit.  As I recite to myself before a run, "Slow in, fast out;
fast in, slow out."

Phil Ethier answers:

First, Scott, how did this get on the Britcar list?  I was sure the
original was sent only to autox@cs.utah.edu

Yes , the turn at the end of the most important straight in the Alan
Johnson (Driving in Competition) theory IS supposed to be "Fast in,
Slow out".  The whole idea is that what is before the corner is MORE
IMPORTANT than what is after it.  Typically, a long straight in an
autocross is followed by more than  one corner.  If you have: Straight
A, corner B, corner C, straight D.  You should sacrifice the exit of
corner B to get max speed from straight A and a good entrance to
corner C to get the best out of straight D.