Spitfire Tires

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Spitfire Tires
From: mit-eddie!EBay.Sun.COM!mutchler@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dan Mutchler)
Date: Fri, 18 May 90 05:42:02 PDT
Pardon the naivety of this question, but I've just got serious
about restoring a Spitfire that has been sitting in our garage
for 4 years.

I want to tire the Spit using todays modern tire technology,
but the small rims mean that I use at most 165/70-13s. I'm
trying to decide if I should move up to a Plus One size and
my past experience says that there would be plenty of grip
with 185/60-14s, but I'm afraid the Spit won't deal with
those do to fender clearance. Modifying the fenders is not
an option.

There is also the issue of whether I keep it fairly stock, but
I do want it to handle well which means among a lot of other
things good tires. Can someone with either a historic perspective
or previous experience enlighten me on which tires would
be appropriate for good street performance? I might consider
autocrossing at some point, but it wouldn't be serious. Still
I'd be interested in hearing about tire and wheel combinations
that work well for autocrossing as it would give me a perspective
on the upper limits of this car.

Thanks for any help. The British bug finally bit me and as this
is my first project car I would like to come close to doing it
right.

Dan Mutchler                       | ARPA/Internet:  mutchler@EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:           ...!sun!mutchler
Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this
and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice? - Arthur Dent