Re: E-Type or XK-E?

To: uunet!Alliant.COM!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: E-Type or XK-E?
From: mit-eddie!tellab5.tellabs.COM!kegel@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dave Kegel)
Date: Tue, 15 May 90 08:31:13 CDT
RE: TR6 clutch not disengaging

My clutch was doing just as you describe.  Actually, when I bought my car,
the slave cylinder had bin shimmed with washers between the slave and the
gearbox, and the push-rod was in the bottom hole.  This worked for awhile
but it eventually got to be impossible to disengage the clutch.  I ended up
replacing it and the cross-shaft and throw-out bearing and fork.  A common
problem with TR6s is the pin that holds the fork on to the cross-shaft will
break, or wear and the fork will move on the shaft.  This play is enough to
cause problems.  Turns out mine was sheared off, I only could remove half of
it, the other have was stuck in the fork.  I had to  use a hacksaw and cut
the cross-shaft in half in order to remove the shaft and fork.

I suppose your problem could be hydraulics.  I thought, and hoped, that's what
mine was but it wasn't.  If there are no leaks, and you bleed the system, only
to have the problem remain, it's problem the fork pin.  One other thing.  The
pin and hole in the slave cylinder pushrod wear out also.  If the hole is
ovaled out that also causes extra play.

Good Luck, Dave
kegel@tellabs.COM