Percy's diff

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: Percy's diff
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Tue, 15 May 90 10:17:49 EDT
Percy is back on the road again!
Finalist for the Understatement of the Year Award:
   Installing the new diff was easy.
Winner of the Understatement of the Year Award:
   Taking out the old one was difficult.

Percy sure is quiet.  I don't think the new diff is working, 'cuz I can't
hear it running like the old one.

All this talk on this Sprite/Midget mailing list about cooling fule...
A few things have been confused.  The question was whether cooling the
fule gave more power.  I'd think that on a street engine, cooling the
fule would decrease driveability, since it might lead to more fule-
condensation.  Whether it helped or hurt the mixture depends on how
optimal it is to begin with.  However, assuming you don't have a problem
with condensation in the manifold (usually solved by warming its walls,
and thus making cooling the air+gas charge more important), cooling the
air+gas charge is decidedly beneficial for power for the simple reason
that the volumetric efficiency goes up.  Cooler air, with or without a
gas charge, means a greater density, and thus more of it stuffed into
the cylinder on each induction.  Back to the cold-fule bizniz, dragsters
probably don't worry about fule-condensation, and probably have so much
heat floating around that they strive to get rid of it.  Thus, anything
they can do will probably help.  Since the fule is gonna' get spewed
(spewn?) straight into the air, fule makes a great vehicle for carrying
more coldness into that air.  And the fule makes the vehicle go anyway,
doesn't it?  On a street car, tho', I dunno'.  How are your axleshafts?
I think I'll name my next lbc Desire, since it will remain a street car.
Nevermind.

We seem to have had a few machines up and down lately (as always).  Some
mail has been coming *in* to us in non-chronological order of posting.  It
looks like some incoming mail from Robb Pryor was delayed, and some folks
had trouble sending to him directly.  His survey results came in yestidy,
and a note from him saying mail was screwed up came in today.  I'll bet
his survey results are no better than marginal...except that the TR's still
won and that makes it official.  :-)  But our machine (alliant) and the SOL
list have been up and running with no troubl..troubbb..tro{{P tro{{{
ZZ
no tr.{{{xx[{{ble{{{

Jim Muller