E-Type or XK-E?

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: E-Type or XK-E?
From: mit-eddie!hp6600.desk.hp.com!larry_schwarcz%q0@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 14 May 90 10:21 -0800
Well,

After all of our discussion on weather it's an 'E-Type' or 'XK-E'
(I thought that the proper term was, 'E-Type'), there's now an
article in the June issue of Car and Driver on a '66 E-Type.  The
title is, 'Jaguar's Glorious E-Type', but, they keep on refering to
it as an 'XK-E' throughout the article.

Maybe someone 'in the know' should write Car and Driver to let them
know that there is no such car as an 'XK-E'.

Aside from the naming error, the article is pretty interesting.  They
remind us that the base price of a '66 E-Type coupe was $4811.

Also, in their FYI section, there's a short story on two brothers
(Peter and Graham Holmes) who are (or will be) making new Austin-Healey's.

They'll be using a fuel-injected Rover V-8 with the Rover SD1 5-speed
tranny.  The car does 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and has a top speed of 140 mph.

There are no plans currently to export any to the US.  Prices will range
from $40K to $60K.

The author notes that "a well-restored original Austin-Healey 3000 Mark III
recently sold for $46,000.  An original will appreciate faster than
a replica, so buyers may be turned off if they must pay more for a replica
than for the real thing."

Just thought that ya might want to know.

             Later...
                Larry Schwarcz
                HP Cupertino, CA
                lrs@hpda.hp.com