Re: E-Type or XK-E?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: E-Type or XK-E?
From: mit-eddie!BBN.COM!san@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 15 May 90 10:21:34 -0400
>article in the June issue of Car and Driver on a '66 E-Type.  The
>title is, 'Jaguar's Glorious E-Type', but, they keep on refering to
>it as an 'XK-E' throughout the article.

Accuracy has never been a C&D strong suit. It is an E-Type according to Philip
Porter and Chris Harvey's books. BTW, the Porter's book "Jaguar E-Type, the
definitive history" is by far the most comprehensive car book on a model that I
have come across. It is 712 pgs long and cost $85, but IMHO, worth every penny.
Chris Harvey's book "E-Type End of an Era" is also very worthwhile, it deals
with alot of practical matters like strength and weakness etc.. of the car. As
always (I am a Jenk's fan) Denis Jenkinson's E-Type book also makes good
reading.

>Aside from the naming error, the article is pretty interesting.  They
>remind us that the base price of a '66 E-Type coupe was $4811.

Hell, the drop head coupe was a few hundred bucks LESS.

The June issue of Classic and Sports cars (the british rag, I can never get its
name straight!) has an article on the Viccarage E-TYPE. (I saw a similar
article in the German mag. "Motor Klassic" about a year ago). THis company
remanufactures EType with the Jag's drive train and motor of your choice.

- Steve.