Healey Jack's don't

To: Alliant.COM!british-cars@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject: Healey Jack's don't
From: mit-eddie!hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu!tobin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mike Tobin)
Date: Mon, 14 May 90 14:36:31 EDT
> noticed that the right rear tire was flat just as I was getting ready to
> jump in and drive home.  I was surprised to learn that the cute
> little screw-jack that came with the car only fit under the frame (the
> only reasonable jacking point) when the tires were inflated.  Naturally

Details of good story deleted

> I've never talked to another Healey owner who had this experience.  Did
> the previous owner of my car switch jacks?  Am I the only one to ever
> have a flat tire on a Healey?
>
> Roland

You've talked to one now.  It happened to me the first time I had the
beast aways from home.  I put the little jack under the frame as far aft
as it would fit and jacked up the car (talk about unstable!), put the
spare under the diff and lowered the jack.  I could then move the jck to
where I could get the car high enough to remove the rear wheel.

When I was jacking up the car to replace the now repaired tire ( the jack
required you swing your arm in a large horizontal arc) I lacerated my
thumb on the number plate.  Still bleeding I threw the stupid jack and
handle in the trash.  I taped myself up and went and bought a sissors
jack.

I've still got the scar and I wouldn't put that idiot device back in the
boot if it was all that stood between the Healey and I and First in Show
at Pebble Beach.  That was the last flat I've ever had in the car.

Mike Tobin