Re: Ditto Wire Wheel Questions

To: Alliant.COM!british-cars@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: Ditto Wire Wheel Questions
From: mit-eddie!hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu!tobin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mike Tobin)
Date: Mon, 14 May 90 14:10:29 EDT

> Well, this might be a red herring, but there's a really excellent book
> on building *bicycle* wheels: The Bicycle Wheel, by Jobst Brandt. My
> guess is that the numbers will be all wrong, but the theory will still
> apply. (I have disc wheels, and I've worked on bicycle wheels enough to
> believe that if I had wire wheels, I'd take them to British Wire Wheel
> and let them do the work.)

You're right there.  I've trued many a bike wheel.  Even laced one from
scratch.  I've replaced a few broken spokes on the Healey.  I've
ATTEMPTED to tighten others and true A wheel.  I finally gave it over as
a bad job.  Fixing the buggers is definitely for others.

>My quest for wire wheel knowledge was based on knowing I want better
than what BMC shipped the Healey with.  I've seen pictures what I think I
want.  But I don't know in what terms to describe it, or what's out
there.

Mike Tobin