More Horses for Spridgets - I mean BIG PONIES

To: !sgi!alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: More Horses for Spridgets - I mean BIG PONIES
From: sgi!pyrthoth.pyramid.com!robbp@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Rob Pryor)
Date: Sun, 13 May 90 15:18:08 PDT
While cleaning out my desk the other day, I came across the following
article.  It is from the June '87 issue of "The Met Gazette".  No printing
rights reserved. Copyright material? Who cares?  There aren't any Met
owners on the list, I know because I just did a car survey and none
showed up! :-)

"110 HORSEPOWER FROM 1200 CC!  THE ULTIMATE "A" SERIES MOD.

If you are not the type to be concerned about sheared axle shafts, broken
spindles, or wheels pulled off the brake drum studs; you may be interested
in 'Jomo Eight Port Head'.  Designed for any 'A' Series engined car, and
designed for those who want the ultimate in power from the BMC 'tiddler',
the new head is cast in high quality aluminum (hardened and x-rayed) and
gives a huge power boost thanks to much greater efficiency - which comes
from a more 'ideal' combustion chamber shapes, and above all, from placing
the inlet and exhaust ports on opposite sides of the head.  This allows
much better breathing compared to the standard items, where the positioning
of both inlet and exhaust ports on the same side restricts airflow.

Fitted with such a head, the bhp of a Weber carburetted, 1293cc (late) 'A'
Series engine is typically around 110(!) at 6800rpm, enough to give the A40,
Sprite, Midget, or modern Metro, a somewhat unbelievable performance.

However, as the price for a complete head, including manifold and alloy
rocker cover is about $2136; and the potential for 'disaster' is great, Met
owners may want to 'think about it'.  Oh, almost forgot the Weber carburetor
kit, which adds another $300 to total cost.  So, for about $2500, you and
your Met can pretend that you're 'big-time road racers'.  Rear axle shafts
are only $80 each, and it just might(?) be fun. . . . "

Out of curiousity, I wrote to the Editor of the Met Gazette requesting more
information.  This yielded the following additional info:

"Famed Morris Minor rally driver Dave Gorman is one of the principles behind
"Jomo 8-Port"; the marketing company.  The firm's address is Unit 4, Whin
Park Industrial Estate, Cockenzie, East Lothian, Scotland, EH32-OJQ."

Now, if I remember correctly, toward the end of the Healey family's
involvement with the BMC Spridget racing program, they were getting about
110 hp out of a fuel-injected 1275cc 'A' Series engine.  These engines would
have been used for the 'enduro' long distance races like Sebring and
Le Mans.  Unless the rest of the driveline was strengthed (I don't
remember), that would end to say that "sheared axle shafts, broken spindles,
or wheels pulled off the brake drum studs" wouldn't be a problem.  I believe
the price is compareable to what you'd pay for a turbo or super-charger
installation, so that would be competitive.  Any "motor-heads" out there
interested?
--