B-C Car Survey Results (Very Long)

To: !sgi!alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: B-C Car Survey Results (Very Long)
From: sgi!pyrthoth.pyramid.com!robbp@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Rob Pryor)
Date: Sun, 13 May 90 14:01:21 PDT
Here are the results of the Car Survey.  The complete list is below, so
you can perform whatever analysis on it that you want.  I will take and
make corrections/additions/deletions.

For myself, I found the following interesting points, concerning mostly the
british cars only.   Make of them what you will, but enjoy.

1. Break down by make:
   1 AC
   1 Aston-Martin
   2 Austin
  17 AH
   1 Caterham
   2 Datsun (1600, 2000)
  12 Jag
   2 Jensen
   1 Land Rover
   4 Lotus
  36 MG
   1 Mazda (Miata)
   2 Sunbeams
  41 TR
  Of the AHs and MGs, 13 were Sprites and 7 were Midgets, leaving only 4 Big
  Healeys and 29 MGs.

  The most popular model was the MGB and its GT derivative at 21.  Next
  were the 20 Spridgets followed by 10 TR-6s.

  The mix of cars is very similar to the original survey (OS).  This
  is surprising to me.  I thought that the list had grown considerably
  larger since the OS.  My feeling was this growth and a constant turnover
  of student members would result in a different mix.

  I was also surprised that there were no Jensen-Healeys, Morgans or TVRs
  and that there were so few Loti, and Big Healeys (not really, but I was
  hoping for more)

  Break down by decade:
  1  before '50
  7  50's
  64 60's
  40 70's
  9  80's

  This about what I would have expected.

2. Roger Garnet's list was the most unusual with 13 cars, 8 of which were
   british.  The next closest person was B. Sohl with 5 Triumphs.
   Several people had 4 british cars.  However, if you discount all the
   wreaks, Roger is more in line with others. :-)

3. At 73 people with 122 cars, the average list member has 1.67 british
   cars (That .67 of a car must be in 5/6 condition :-)). The approximate
   distribution of cars is shown.

# 9 |
  8 |*
o 7 |
f 6 |
  5 |*
C 4 |***
a 3 |****
r 2 |********************
s 1 |****************************************
  0 |**
     1   5     10   15   20   25   30   35    40   45   50   55    60   65
                          # of people

4. The oldest car again goes to Roger Garnet and his '34 MG PA Midget.

5. The newest cars are M. Sands' '85 Super Seven and H. Rainie's '85
   XJ-S.

6. Some people had note-worthy assortments:
   R. Garnet's MG grave yard
   R. Jessup - 3 Sprites and a TR-6.
   L. Colen - 3 Sprites and a Cortina
   E. Dashman and M.Tobin each have 5 cars of which each has a Big Healey,
   a Jag, a Benz and an American make.

AND NOW FOR RAW DATA!

Definitions for Condition codes.
1)  Mint; show quality

2)  Excellent; not show quality, but everything works and the paint, body
    and interior show no defects or wear.

3)  Good; not everything works, the paint, body and interior not perfect
    but nothing needs immediate attention.

4)  Fair; some mechanical work is needed to put the car in proper working
    order, it could use paint/body work; however, the car is driveable.

5)  Poor/Under (re)construction;  Car needs work to be driveable again.
    Everything is there, car is restoreable.

6)  Basket Case/Parts Car;  Parts may not all be there, car may or may
    not be restoreable.

From: mcwill@inmos-c.inmos.com

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           GT6 Mk.II              '70      3  Sole car used every day

From: swc@information-systems.east-anglia.ac.uk

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           Herald 13/60           '68      2/3

From: davidb@inmos-c.inmos.com (David Boreham)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           Vitesse Mk.II          '69      2
Triumph           2000 Mk.II             '74      4

From: garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Roger Garnett)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                PA Midget              '34      3    2 seat, 839cc, two-tone
red
Ford              9N                     '39      4    Tractor, blue/grey
Porsche           356A                   '57      5/6  cpe w/1600 S Engine -
Anybody want a project?
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.II           '64      5/6  1098cc, 1275 on the way,
white.
MG                MGB Mk.I               '65      4    1798cc, Iris Blue.
MG                MGB Mk.I               '65      6    parts shell
MG                MGB-GT Mk.I            '67      5    Stripped, waiting for
reassembly
MG                MGB-GT Mk.I            '67      6    Parts Car
MG                MGB-GT Mk.II           '71      5/6  British Racing Green
MG                MGB-GT Mk.II           '74      3/4  Teal Blue
Toyota            Corola                 '78      4    Winter Rat
Ford              F100                   '82      3    MG Hauler
Homemade          -twin axle             '70      4    trailer
Honda             Civic Si               '86      2

From: oneway@athena.mit.edu (Kenneth B. Streeter)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Ford              Maverick               '73      3

From: brady-p@apollo.com (J. Peter Brady)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-7, rdstr            '80      3

From: cook@pinocchio.encore.com (Dale C. Cook)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGB Mk.II              '73      2

From: jshoe@mlb.semi.harris.com (Jeff M. Shoemaker)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-6                   '75      3

From: dashman@rti.rti.org (Eric Dashman)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Austin-Healey     3000 Mk.III            '65      4
Jaguar            E-Type S2, rdstr       '71      5
Mercedes Benz     250                    '71      2
Studebaker        Champion               '54      5
RX-7              GSL                    '84      1

From: eugene@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Eugene Siciunas)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Jaguar            E-type S2, cpe         '66      3

From: tobin@acsu.buffalo.edu (Mike Tobin)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Austin-Healey     3000 Mk.II             '62      5
Jaguar            420                    '67      6
Mercedes Benz     190b                   '59      5
Triumph           Spitfire 1500          '79      3
Pontiac           Fiero                  '84      2

From: ejd@iris.brown.edu (Ed Devinney)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           Stag                   '71      5
Plymoth           'cuda340               '72      2/3
Mazda             Miata                  '90      1

From: flanery@refsun.EPM.ORNL.GOV

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGB Mk.III             '77      3

From: jatc@emx.utexas.edu (James TenCate)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-7                   '75      3
Triumph           TR-8                   '80      1/2

From: rimbold@apollo.com

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-7                   '80      3
Triumph           TR-7, cpe              '76      3

From: andyh@hdw.csd.harris.com (Andy Haber)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGB Mk.II              '69      4

From: walker@hprpcd.hp.com (Darrell Walker)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-4A                  '66      4

From: borman@twisted.metaphor.com (Tom Borman)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Lotus             Europa TCS             '73      3

From: leger@sherman.Alliant.COM (Bob Leger)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-250                 '68      2

From: gillam@hpfcpq.fc.hp.com (Larry Gillam)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-6                   '72      2

From: markl@us.oracle.com (Mark L. Lambert)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGA 1600 Mk.II         '62      1/2  "The Geezer", one of
last 200 built

From: CJH@CORNELLA.cit.cornell.edu

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                TD                     '54      5  about to become 3 or 2

From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           Spitfire 1500          '80      2/3
Triumph           TR-6                   '74      5

From: gunnar@beppe.ericsson.se (Gunnar Forsgren)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Jaguar            XJ6 4.2 (S1)           '72      4
Volvo             121 (Amazon)           '65      3

From: boggiano@wpi.wpi.edu (Thomas A. Boggiano)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-4                   '65      3/4

From: kirkb@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Kirk Becher)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           Spitfire               '63      3  Vintage Race Car

From: san@BBN.COM (Stephen H. An)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Jaguar            E-Type S2              '69      2

From: pwv@fluke (Pat Vilbrandt)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-4                   '62      6
Triumph           TR-4                   '62      5

From: adrian@cindy.Altos.COM (Adrian Jefferies)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-4                   '62      3

From: taichi!whs70@bellcore.bellcore.com

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-3A                  '61      2 Original including paint
Triumph           TR-3A                  '61      5 Ground up restoration
Triumph           TR-250                 '68      3 Unoriginal color
Triumph           TR-6                   '69      5 Son's project car
Triumph           TR-8                   '81      1 In latest issue AQ*
* - AQ = Automobile Quarterly first issue of 1990

From: kts@lll-winken.llnl.gov (Kenneth T. Smelcer)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.I            '59      4

From: srt@CS.UCLA.EDU (Scott Turner)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGB Mk.III             '79      3

From: sands@XAIT.Xerox.COM (Michael Sands)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Caterham          Super Seven            '85      2 Cortina Cross Flow engine
Chevrolet         Corvette               '86      2
Honda             Civic Si               '86      2

From: hedley@iitinc (Hedley Rainnie)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Jaguar            XJ-S HE                '85      3

From: cobra@phcilsn.hp.com (Roland Dudley)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
AC Cobra          Mk.II (289)            '64      4/5

From: staylor@ccd.bbn.com (Steven Taylor)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                Midget 1500            '79      3/4

From: jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-6                   '70      3
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.I            '61      4
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.III          '66      6
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.III          '67      4

From: dhk@hpcvxdhk.cv.hp.com (Dustin Kassman)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGB-GT Mk.II           '71      5  Tinker's Damn

From: GGN100@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Gregory Nagy)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Jaguar            Mk.VIII                '57      6
MG                Midget 1500            '76      2
MG                MGB-GT Mk.II           '71      3
Austin            7                      '61      6

From: chrisp@mrloog.wr.tek.com

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Jaguar            XK-150, cpe            '58      5/6

From: holbrook@dsm.enet.dec.com

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGA 1600 Mk.II         '62      5  Frame up in progress

From: mason@vax.ftp.com (Nark Mason)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-250                 '68
Austin            Mini 850               '64

From: tektronix.tek.com:mntgfx!apd.MENTOR     CS.NET (George Burgesser)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-3                   '59      4
Triumph           GT6+                   '69      4
Mazda             323                    '86      3

From: sgi!linus!att!speedy!gerry

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Reliant           Scimitar GTE (SE5a)    '72 1/2  2
MG                Midget 1500            '75      3

From: larry-schwarcz%q0@hp6600.desk.hp.com

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Ford              Mustang, cpe           '67      3/4

From: leeh@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Lee Henderson)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGA 1600 Mk.II         '62      4

From: phile@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Philip J Ethier)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                Midget Mk.II           '66      4
car is autocross-prepared Stock class.  Body is miserable.

From: kegel@tellab5.tellabs.COM (Dave Kegel)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-6                   '74 1/2  3

From: watt@osf.org (Tom Watt)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Lotus             Eclat S1               '79      2

From: rej@cs.unc.edu (R. Eugene Johnston)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Jaguar            XJ6                    '72      3/4
MG                MGB-GT Mk.I            '68      5

From: brett@cs.arizona.edu (Brett Engel)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGA Mk.II Delux        '61      5
MG                MGA, cpe               '58      4/5
MG                TD                     '52      5

All are in  the restoration queue,, cpe should
be done in Fall, others at ~2 year intervals...

From: miq@sgi.com (Miq Millman)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.I            '61      4
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.II           '62      4  prep'd for Solo II DP

From: robbp@pyrthoth.pyramid.com (Robb Pryor)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Austin-Healey     3000 Mk.I              '60      5  4-seater
Austin-Healey     3000 Mk.I              '60      2  2-seater

From: orr_b@apollo.hp.com (Bill Orr)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-6                   '71      2
Land Rover        109 Safari             '66      3
Jensen            InterceptorIII         '73      2
Jensen            InterceptorIII         '72      6

From: dambrose@ames.arc.nasa.gov (David Ambrose)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGB-GT Mk.II           '69      3
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.II           '62      5

From: rdg@hpfcmi.fc.hp.com

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Datsun            1600                   '67      4

From: paul@dsinc.dsi.com (Paul Homchick)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Lotus             Elan S4, cpe           '69      4/5

From: waynea@cadnetix.com (Wayne Angevine)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Datsun            2000                   '68      3

From: sanders@iris.ucdavis.edu (John Sanders)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGB Mk.II              '69      1
MG                MGB Mk.I               '68      2

From: lswanson@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Laura Swanson)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGB Mk.II              '73      3

From: lrc@ucscc.UCSC.EDU!red4est (Larry Colen esq)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.II           '62      4  body '68 driveline
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.II           '62      6
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.II           '63?     6  Major portions of body
Ford              Cortina 1600 GT        '68      4  Race Car

From: dwhite@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dick White)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Jaguar            3.8S                   '64      3

From: droms@sol.bucknell.edu (Ralph E. Droms)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.I            '61      5

From: sansom@CS.CMU.EDU (Robert Sansom)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Jaguar            3.4S                   '66      3

From: ccm0b@VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU (Lawrence Buja)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-8                   '80      3  Tim Buja
Triumph           Spitfire 1500          '76      5  Lawrence Buja

From: metzger@wxyz.enet.dec.com (John Metzger)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                Midget Mk.IV           '70      3
Austin-Healey     Sprite Mk.V            '73(?)   6

From: rkeller@matrox.matrox.com (Robert Keller)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGB-GT Mk.I            '68      3

From: knipper@rons350.optilink (Ron Knipper)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Aston-Martin      AMV8 S3                '75      3

This car was a basket case when I bought it 4 years ago.  It is
now 30% restored.  The engine gets pulled Thursday [Yes - the cost
of this is *astronomical*].  I hope to have it in 2.5 - 2.0 condition
for Pebble Beach.

From: banta@sco.COM (Andy Banta)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                MGB-GT Mk.II           '70      2  E-Prod road racing
MG                MGB Mk.I               '64      3  Street driving

From: timke@microsoft (Tim Keane)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-6                   '70      4
Jaguar            E-type S2, rdstr       '68      3

From: jlo@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Jeff Lo)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-6                   '74      4
Toyota            MR2                    '86      2

From: mikegal@microsoft

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Lotus             Elan+2                 '69      5

From: Peter.Lee@PROOF.ERGO.CS.CMU.EDU (Peter Lee)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Triumph           TR-6                   '73      4
Triumph           Spitfire 1500          '80      3
Triumph           TR-4A                  '67      1

From: wilson@potassium.cchem.berkeley.edu (Michael A. Wilson)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
MG                Midget Mk.II           '64      3/4
MG                MGB Mk.III             '77      5

From: higgins@ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)

MAKE              MODEL                  YEAR     COND
Sunbeam           Alpine Mk.V            '67      4  1.5 years
Sunbeam           Alpine Mk.V            '67      6  1 year