re: bearing trivia

To: "bellcore!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!alliant!british-cars"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: bearing trivia
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 14 May 1990 9:40 EDT
Chris Kent asks about wheel bearings:

>(TR-4A) apart today, mainly to repack the bearings. I found one set
>of bearings made by Timken, and one by Hoffman (and lots of extra grease,
>
>I'm curious. Was there one bearing supplier that B-L used, or is a mix
>like this not unusual? It wouldn't surprise me that the Timken bearing
>is a replacement, since it is on the wheel that has been damaged
>some time in the past. But could the Hoffman bearing be the original
>part, 170K miles later?

Triumph, as well as many other auto makers, often had different
suppliers for common components such as bearings, so it is
possible that the difference can be related to initial manufacture.

Odds are, however, that with 170K miles on the car, neither bearing
is original (although it is possible).

Bill Sohl