bearing trivia

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: bearing trivia
From: mit-eddie!wrl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Sat, 12 May 90 13:13:52 PDT
This is a deep test of trivia knowledge: I took the front end of Sarah
(TR-4A) apart today, mainly to repack the bearings. I found one set
of bearings made by Timken, and one by Hoffman (and lots of extra grease,
and even two greas seal retainers pushed into the space where one
was meant to be...)

I'm curious. Was there one bearing supplier that B-L used, or is a mix
like this not unusual? It wouldn't surprise me that the Timken bearing
is a replacement, since it is on the wheel that has been damaged
some time in the past. But could the Hoffman bearing be the original
part, 170K miles later?

chris