Re: The whole fleet works!

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: The whole fleet works!
From: mit-eddie!refsun.EPM.ORNL.GOV!flanery@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 09 May 90 08:56:09 -0400
>And what did *you* do this weekend? :-) Happy (British) Motoring!

Well, I took apart the top half of my little MGB's engine. I have the
ZS broken apart (neither of the blowups in the rebuild kit nor the
blowup in the Haynes fully matches what I see). Does anyone know
why I do not have a drain plug on the base of the carb. All three
drawings had one, mine is solid. A friend has the carb at his shop
running it through his cleaning equipment, I'll finish the rebuild
tonight.

The head came off because of low compression. The person owning her before
me had a shop here in Knoxville put a reconditioned head on and they
reused the original head gasket (this did not work well). I can not
find any other reason for the low compression, so now that I have
scraped all of the carbon deposits off of the pistons and underside
of the head I will replace the head gasket and see if compression
goes up.

Thanks for all the replies on the fluids. I still need to replace the
hoses and seals on the brake system. Might as well rebuild the entire
system while I'm at it.

One more question for the group:

  Does anyone know of any '77 MGB parts cars available in the southeast?
I could use one with the emmission control equipment intact.

Raymond E. Flanery Jr., Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Mathematical Sciences Section, Engineering Physics and Mathematics Division
P.O. Box 2009, Bldg. 9207A, Oak Ridge, TN  37831-8083, USA
(615)574-0630  FAX: (615)574-0680
Internet: flanery@msr.epm.ornl.gov