diffs and antiques

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: diffs and antiques
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Fri, 4 May 90 14:44:58 EDT
For those looking for another good car show, check out the Dedham Antique Auto
Show, at the Endicott Estate in Dedham, Massachusetts, Sunday July 8.  There
are a number of British cars there but the main theme is *LOTS* of wonderful
old Uhmurricun iron, from turn-of-the-century horseless carriages to classic
gothic to muscle-cars to modified 'rods.  Absolutely wonderful stuff guaranteed
to blow every circuit in your retinas.  Represents about 10 zillion man-hours,
not to mention real bucks, worth of restoration.  The added attraction is that
our band plays for it!  (Not pays for it, *plays* for it!)  We start around
noon.  Bring film.

Speaking of differentials, I spoke to the guy at British Auto Salvage yesterday
and he said that he never had any problem getting Spitfire differentials out,
that I should just whack it via a long bar with a good hammer, that it might
take a 4-pounder with good velocity.  Okay, I sez to myself, the man said "use
a bigger hammer."  Really!  So I did.  I managed to get some more Liquid Wrench
up on the sleeve/bolt interface.  I happen to have a heavy sledge, probably
about 10-pounds or so.  (Heaviest sledge I ever saw, but hey, it came with the
house!)  After some good pounding and swearing I finally decided it was still
no go.  The bolt would not budge even a millimeter, and I was starting to bend
the frame section the bushing rested against.  Reluctantly I took hacksaw blade
in hand and went at it.  About 45 minutes later I had sawn (sawed? -where are
you British Language experts when I need you?) the bolt through in two key
locations and out it came.  But, what the...?  The diff is still stuck in
place.  The upper spring sections are free, but the lower main leaf is frozen
in the slot in the top of the diff casing, and the 50-lb diff is floating in
mid-air as the outer ends of the primary leaf rest on the frame.  Ho, hum, what
next?  Maybe I'll bolt it back into place so it doesn't fall on my head, then
wedge a shaft between the spring and my hydraulic jack and see how much of the
car's ass-end weight that miracle bond-of-rust can hold!  This is turning into
a real pain, when you get right down to it.  The Haynes and Bentley manuals
just say politely "remove bolts and with a jack or a friend, gently lower the
diff..."  Uh-huh.  Where are my fiends now. I wonder?

Just thought you'd like to know.  Thanks to those who offered advice.

Jim Muller