Re: diffs and antiques

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (local-british-cars)
Subject: Re: diffs and antiques
From: mit-eddie!think!ames!amdahl!drivax!dambrose@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (David Ambrose)
Date: Sat, 5 May 90 00:59:33 GMT
In article <9005041844.AA02711@market.Alliant.COM> muller@Alliant.COM (Jim
Muller) writes:
>just say politely "remove bolts and with a jack or a friend, gently lower the
>diff..."  Uh-huh.  Where are my fiends now. I wonder?
>                                ^^^^^^
        Off-hand,  I'd say they were still hanging around the area of your
differential.  (Sorry,  I couldn't resist. :)

        Could you have bent the bracket with all the pounding?

        My experience has been that bolts rusted/welded into rubber bushings
cannot be pounded out,  period.  I have had good luck with using a scissors
jack or some other contrivance to PUSH the thing out enough to get a long
crowbar under the bolt.

        -- Dave Ambrose ++

--
Play it cool;  play it cool;  fifty-fifty fire and ice -- Joni Mitchell
David L. Ambrose, --  Digital Research, Inc          ...!amdahl!drivax!dambrose