Re: more on damper oil

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: more on damper oil
From: Scott Turner <mit-eddie!CS.UCLA.EDU!srt@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 May 90 11:29:11 PDT
> With regard to Zenith-Strombergs, excessive or consistent oil loss
> from the damper indicates a defective o-ring on the needle adjusting
> screw.  This allows the oil to leak out around the needle into the
> engine.  While these o-rings and screws are available, the are
> retained by a unidirectional star clip that can be a real bear to
> get out without having the clip score the bore of the guide tube
> (which can cause friction with the damper).

Where were you a year ago?  I eventually ended up just getting a new
damper from a junkyard when I couldn't figure out how to get into the
o-ring.  I still have the old piston, and was planning on eventually
cutting it in half with a hacksaw to find out exactly what was going
on in there.

I thought that I concluded from my reading that in later model Z-S
carbs the o-ring is not servicable at all.  Is that the case?  My
carb is from a 79 MGB.

                                        -- Scott Turner